The girls

The girls

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Parents getting older

I dread getting a late night phone call from back home, because it means something has happened. Or get a call from my mothers phone and it's someone else telling me, she's okay, but.... My mother is 83 years old and doing pretty well on her own, well that's what she and I guess my brother think.
Reality is a bit different. She is 83 and is being taken advantage of and bled dry every month by extended family and a free loading renter. She use to have a third leech or parasite but that was finally sent away to get some real help. Living on a railroad pension and getting supposed rent from 2 other units, she still doesn't have enough money to feed herself , get her teeth fixed when needed or just  have money in general. But there's no problem with what's going on.
Do I sound a bit pissed off or just plain had enough, you're right and I can't seem to find any logic to why this situation hasn't been fixed years ago. My brother who I love dearly, just seems to drag this out and thinks if he throws some money in the general direction things will be okay.
 I wanted to put her name on a list to get her in a senior housing unit. I gave him the information to go, and just said put her name on the list, it could take up to a year so we have time to get this in order. A year later I hear oh I should see the facility again and put her name down. WTF?!!!! Really? It took her almost dying to get power of attorney and other paperwork done, and even then he couldn't do that when it was needed. Waited till after she had surgery because he didn't want to upset her. Really?! He'd rather risk the state taking everything?  I just don't get it.
I call my mother a few times a week, to make sure she's okay and if she needs anything, but being thousands of miles away it's tough to really know. Not having a person there to check daily is rough. She has a niece who lives off her in the upper apartment, but doesn't have the best judgment on when help is really needed. And taking her to grocery shop for better food isn't dollar store stuff. And doesn't even realize it's because all my mothers money has gone to keep her and the tweeker renter fed and cash in their pockets and a car to drive.
So now here we are again, she in the hospital because she's not taking care of herself and eating properly. She could afford to have a service bring her meals daily, but all her money goes to everyone than herself. So once again, I will tell my brother to get this shit taken care of. And I'll get a, "I will look into this or I can take care of it", and then nothing.
We just got news a larger house with a a 4th bedroom is going to be ours in a few months. Room enough for us and hopefully grandma. This time around I am going to push for changes to be made quicker, or I 'll be flying up there to pack her up and take her back down here. There won't be any opportunity to drag this out any more!
Why is change so hard? I know it's scary and the first step is tough, but when you know it's the best for a loved one why would you hesitate at all? Why is the only child who isn't even blood the only one who is willing to care for her unconditionally? Life is not black and white, it's full of subtle grays and empty space that requires one to be willing to see it all for what it is. There is always more than one solution and we should know when to step up and make hard choices.
Maybe not making the hard decisions is a way of not facing age and the future we all face, death. Our parents grow old and we have to step up and fill their shoes, scary thought but reality. We can't just take a blind eye to the realization our parents don't live forever. It's our duty to make sure as they grow old and are safe and taken care of weather by us or someone else. To let a parent be taken advantage of is just as bad as to let them be abused.,especially when we know something can be done to stop it. We need to make sure the last year or 10 years are the best for them. Make them feel like they do have a purpose and meaning in our lives, even if it's just sitting down with our children and telling them stories, it all has purpose. And as they get older, I think that's something they lose and feel they are more of a burden. I want my mother to feel happy and wanted, and I know I can give it to her, even if it's for a short while. My daughters will remember that time and cherish it for a life time, and I will know I did everything I possibly could to make her happy and safe.
Why is that such a hard task to accomplish? How else can I reach him to see we need to do this all for her before it's too late. And not end up, saying I wish we would have done this sooner. Time will tell, but I hope it won't be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment